Wednesday, May 28, 2014

commute

Last night as I walked out of Sari Bari, I followed one of my heroes out of the red light area.
She was going to the metro.
She was on her way home.
She was far enough ahead of me that i couldn't catch up with her.

I watched her walk through the crowds.
her off white and peach floral kurta weaving through the busy road.
her purse over one shoulder.
her empty tiffin box in the other.

She is a dignified women.
commuting home.
after a day at the office.

She is beautiful.
She is strong.
She is passionate.
She is the one who joyfully says, "welcome to Sari Bari" in English anytime a visitor comes
(and it still makes me smile, and catches me off guard sometimes)

I think of the twists and turns in her freedom journey.
It has not always been easy (it never is)
And I think of the deep ownership she has in Sari Bari.
Sari Bari is hers.
Her company.
She believes that.
in the deepest part of herself.

I watch her commute home
I watch how she carries herself
with strength
and pride
and freedom



1 comment:

Mallary said...

What a beautiful picture!