Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"At the threshold of the day"


A few years ago I read, “Life Together” by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (its on the WMF required reading list) – and the thing that has stuck with me most from the book is a short statement he made that has become my “morning prayer”

“At the threshold of the day stands the One who made it.”

I call it my morning prayer – but really I should probably call it my prayer of desperation. Usually uttered at the beginning of a day that feels like too much. When I look ahead into a day, in the middle of a season where everything feels like too much. When I think about what is going on, the places I’ll be, the losses, conflict, exhaustion or questions I’m in the middle of and I have no idea how I’m going to get through another day…in desperation I declare that somehow the Lord is in the middle of that day too....he must be.

Last week at the beginning of a day of rest and nature and beauty I (unintentionally) prayed my “morning prayer” from a place of joy and celebration…the One who made the day was in the middle of the excitement and beauty and adventure. It was a great surprise-treat to find my heart declaring those familiar words from a very different emotional place.

He is here too. 

“At the threshold of the day stands the One who made it.”

Always.

1 comment:

Mallary said...

Just wrote this down. That's a keeper.